What is EDI?
The Alaska Railroad has implemented an EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) program. We can now exchange business information instantly. Our goal is to increase the accuracy and efficiency of information between ourselves and our business partners.
How does EDI make business easier?
- Reduces paperwork
- Saves on mailing costs
- Eliminates the re-keying of data
- Facilitates inventory management
- Expedites cash management
Putting EDI To Work For You
If you're an ARRC customer, using EDI will enable you to send bills of lading directly to the ARRC. You can also trace your equipment locations. Invoices can be transmitted back to you quickly, for cash flow and rebilling purposes. Even documents proprietary to your organization can be transmitted using EDI. Ask your Alaska Railroad account executive about getting started with EDI. We will assist you in developing your EDI program.
The Alaska Railroad and RailConnect introduce eBOL - Electronic Bills of Lading
Shipping customers now have the option to submit Bills of Lading electronically. This service is available to any shipper with access to the Internet via Internet Explorer. This service can provide many benefits to a shipper's operations. Best of all, e-BOL is free, fast, reliable and easy to use.
eBOL enables shipping customers to:
- Eliminate manual faxing or in-person paperwork handoffs when delivering and spotting loads
- Avoid shipping delays due to lost or incorrect shipping papers
- View the history of submitted Bills of Lading
- Enter multiple containers, single railcar shipments, or even for an entire train
- Enter repetitive bills of lading for previously generated electronic shipping papers, so the same paperwork does not have to be prepared again and again;
- Automatically notify the Alaska Railroad that Electronic Bills of Lading have been sent
e-BOL enables the Alaska Railroad to spend less time tracking paperwork and entering data into our system, so we can concentrate on getting our trains to depart and deliver on time!
Already have an in-house system to generate bills of lading?
The Alaska Railroad can also help implement custom EDI solutions to interface with shippers in-house operational systems. Contact the Alaska Railroad today to see how we can help to automate these processes for your company.